Wednesday 3 September 2008

STEVEN HARRINGTON


is a Graphic Designer and Illustrator living in South Pasadena. He studied Art at the Art Center in Pasadena, where he met Justin Krietemyer - with whom he started the design firm National Forest.

Beyond visual interests, Steven enjoys creating objects that other human beings can relate to- not quite nostalgic, but closer to a personal photograph or memory. "I've always felt a stronger connection to tangible, printed objects, so that's what I like to make. Most of the ideas for my personal works are created from past experiences and childhood memories. But I prefer creative freedom in my personal work so the concepts and ideas are different from piece to piece. I feel like my process is very intuitive, so many of the meanings or messages are often revealed after the piece is created. When creating personal works, I like to keep most of my ideas fairly subtle or ambiguous; I think it's important to let the viewer make their own assumptions about messages and meanings within a body of work. Another person's interpretation, according to his or her own experiences, is very interesting and significant to me."

Stevens work is Influenced by images, fashion and graphics discovered in Time Life Encyclopedias from 1965-1972, thrift stores, and The Moody Blues, his art might be termed contextual objectivism. That is, he views each piece he creates as a tangible object that is part and parcel of a larger context; the object helps define the context and the context helps define the object. Whatever feel or meaning the observer takes away from the piece belongs to the observer. Nothing is shoved down his or her throat. Discovery is the key. Some of his most recent projects include a four board series for Burton snowboards, contributions to the French clothing line Sixpack, and a series of silkscreen prints based on the idea of “community.” He has exhibited work in Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, San Francisco, Chicago, Philadelphia, Montreal, Tokyo, Melbourne, Barcelona and now here in dear old Blighty.

No comments: